I often laugh when people tell me that I have the best job in the world…I get to read books all day! One thing that I do agree on is that I DO have one of the best jobs in the world because I run one of the busiest enterprises in Gardiner, the public library. By being part of the downtown “businesses”, the library does a great job of bringing people to town.
Just a few numbers so that you can see why the library is one of the anchor businesses for our downtown:
· Total number of folks who visited last year: 60,799
· Total number of people who attended a children’s program last year: 1,166
· Total number attending young adult programming: 89
· Total number of folks attending adult programs: 510
· 7,659 people circulated 104,053 items last year
· More than 38,900 titles were accessed through Gardiner library’s Interlibrary Loan Program.
The Gardiner Public Library is a true regionalized system that serves the municipalities of Gardiner, Litchfield, Pittston, Randolph and West Gardiner.
I admit, when I do get home, I do read a book, but I notice that more often than not, I fall asleep after the first few pages!
Anne Davis, Library Director